If you have always been wondering about the best way to reheat shrimp, this post is for you! I looked at a variety of online sources and went through forums to write this guide. I hope that you can learn from the experts and find the best way to enjoy shrimp hot and fresh!
Leftover shrimps are not delicious when you eat them, especially if they just came straight from the refrigerator, or worst, from the freezer. It will taste bland and the texture will also be affected. With this, it is important to reheat it properly to enjoy a yummy dish!
What You Will Need To Follow This Tutorial
Here are some of the materials that you should prepare as you follow the steps that will be mentioned below:
- Plastic wrap
- Aluminum oil
- Olive oil
Step-By-Step Guide On Reheating Shrimp
In this section, we will go through a variety of ways to reheat your shrimp, and in the end of this article, we will let you know which one is the best and why you might want to choose it above other methods.
Reheating Shrimp In The Microwave
Among others, one of the best methods for reheating shrimp is through the use of a microwave. It is something that most of us have at home since it can be used for reheating a lot of leftovers. Here’s a simple guide on how you can use it for shrimp:
- Before anything else, check your shrimp. A quick physical inspection will make sure that it is still good to be eaten. Pay attention to its appearance and smell to determine if you can still reheat it or if it needs to be thrown away.
- Once you are sure that the shrimp is still in a good state, put it inside a microwave-safe container. Make sure to arrange it properly so that they can be heated evenly.
- Place the lid on the top of the container. Obviously, the cover should not be made from plastic. Otherwise, it will melt. If it has a plastic cover, you can simply replace it with a plastic wrap.
- Once it is placed in the microwave, turn it on and reheat the shrimp for at least 60 seconds. Once one minute has elapsed, check the shrimp. If it is still not hot as desired, you can reheat it for a longer time.
- Take it out from the microwave and allow it to air out. Let it cool down for a few minutes. However, do not wait too long! Enjoy it while it is still hot!
Reheating Shrimp In A Steamer
If you do not have a microwave at home, one of the alternative methods for reheating shrimp is through having it steamed, which you can do by following the simple steps mentioned below:
- Look for a pot, preferably one that is deep enough. Fill it with water, but not more than half. Otherwise, it will take a long time before it heats up. On the other hand, if it is too little, there is a tendency to dry before the shrimp even becomes hot.
- Place a steamer on the top of the pot. It is good if you have a bamboo steamer. If you do not have one, you can use any substitute that you have in the kitchen.
- Arrange the shrimp on the steamer. They should never be double-stacked. Otherwise, the shrimps will not be heated consistently.
- Touch the shrimp to know if it is already hot. Also, pay attention to the appearance of smoke. Once you are sure that it is already hot, transfer it to a plate and let it cool for a while before you eat it.
Reheating Shrimp In The Oven
If you have an oven, you can also use it for reheating shrimp. You can do this by following the s imple steps that are mentioned below.
- To start, preheat your over to at least 225 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While waiting for the oven to heat up, prepare your shrimp. Put it on a plate with an aluminum foil. You can also brush it with olive oil for additional flavor and to also prevent the shrimp from drying. This will add juice to your shrimp.
- Once the shrimp has been lined in the plate, cover it with another layer of aluminum foil on the top.
- Place it in the oven and check occasionally to see if it is already hot enough. Do not let it stay in the oven for a long time as this can cause dryness.
- Take it out from the oven and allow it to cool down before eating.
Reheating Shrimp In A Skillet
Another simple way of reheating shrimp is through using a skillet. This is also a versatile option because you can add vegetables and meat, among others. Here’s how you can do it.
- Start by heating the skillet over medium heat.
- Add a spritz of olive oil. Once it becomes hot, throw the shrimps in the skillet and stir it occasionally.
- Alternatively, you can add other ingredients based on the flavor that is preferred. You can add vegetables, egg, meat, or whatever is preferred. If the shrimp has no more shell, you can even combine it with rice.
Here is a short video showing how to cook fried rice with shrimp. The recipe calls for raw shrimp. But once it is already cooked, you can just reheat it and mix with rice.
Here are some of the tips that you have to keep in mind:
- Instead of reheating shrimp on its own, you can combine it with other foods. For instance, you can mix it with egg and have an omelet. You can also have it stir-fried with fresh vegetables to have a yummy and healthy dish.
- Regardless of the way of cooking shrimp, it is important that it is not overdone. If you overcook shrimp, there is a tendency for it to end up chewy and hard. This will also eliminate moisture. Cook it only at the right time for it to be juicy!
- When reheating shrimp, you can consider having it brushed with butter or sprinkle it with fresh lemon. This will be an excellent way to make it more flavorful.
- It will also be a good idea to spritz the shrimp with water before you reheat it. A little amount of water will be effective to make it moist and juicy.
- Do not reheat shrimp straight from the freezer. It will be best to let it thaw first before trying any of the methods above. To thaw it, just leave it at room temperature.
- Do not reheat shrimp twice. If it has already been reheated, do not keep it in the fridge and never attempt to reheat it for the second time. This can increase the possibility of contamination.
So, what is the best way to reheat shrimp? At the end of the day, it all depends on personal preferences. If you were to ask me, however, I’d do it in a skillet. It might require more work, but it is versatile because you can add other ingredients depending on what you feel like eating.
Did you enjoy reading this post? Is there any other method that you have tried and proved to be effective? Do not hesitate to share your experiences in the comment section below.