Many people nowadays are trying to be healthy and maybe some are trying to lose weight. But what if you are offered with something fried for lunch? What if you are offered with something refried? This might sound a big NO for health conscious people, but for others, there is no reason not to try it.
You are perhaps asking yourself as to “how long do refried beans last in the fridge”. Well, you are not alone, knowing that there are lots of people who do not know the exact answer. So, continue reading as we unveil the answer to this question in this article.
Refried Beans As A Dish
Refried beans are a kind of dish of mashed and cooked beans. This traditional dish is considered as a staple for Mexican people as well as Tex-Mex cuisine, even though every cuisine has unique kind of approach when it comes to making this dish.
In home meals, the refried beans are usually offered to be a side dish accompanying a much larger meal. In some instances, it is rolled in a tortilla in order to form a delicious bean burrito.
In the United States, refried beans are commonly made from pinto beans. In most Tex-Mex restaurant meals, they are mainly served as a side dish. Aside from that, refried beans have become famous as a dip for the corn tortilla chips.
They are also a primary ingredient in pupusa, chimichanga, and tostada recipes and are a typical ingredient in layered dip including nachos or 7-layer dip.
Do Refried Beans Spoil?
Not all people are aware of the answer to the most common question, “how long do refried beans last in the fridge?”.
- Well, refried beans potentially go bad especially if they are left in the fridge for more than four days.
- Always keep in mind that beans would retain their best quality for one up to two months in the freezer.
- Take note that storing the refried beans in a can is not a good idea at all. It is much better to remove the beans from the can right after opening.
- As much as possible, store them either in a glass container or in a plastic with an airtight cover.
- When storing refried beans in the freezer for longer period of time, a heavy-duty freezer bag is advisable to use.
- Those unopened canned beans on the other hand are good for two up to five years or until their stamped expiration date.
- Always discard cans most especially if they are dented or bulging.
Tips When Storing Refried Beans In The Fridge
Usually, the canned refried beans are smooth pinto beans and might be with or without added fat into it. They are packed in a 15.5-ounce can that yields approximately 3 ½ cup servings.
- Do not store it in an opened metal can; instead, refrigerate the refried beans in a plastic container or covered glass right after opening.
- Freeze inside covered airtight containers or inside heavy-duty freezer bags.
- The freezer mainly shown is for its best quality only. Take note that foods kept at 0 degree Fahrenheit will keep safe indefinitely.
- Avoid either freezing or exposure to direct sunlight.
- Store the opened refried beans in a tightly covered non-metallic container and then refrigerate it. Use it within two days.
The Uses Of Refried Beans
After giving you the answer to the question, “how long do refried beans last in the fridge?” let us now come to its uses.
- Refried beans can be served as an accompaniment to a main dish and may be topped with grated cheese.
- Refried beans can be used as an alternative to meat and vegetables.
- As part of a certain main dish, the refried beans can be featured in different Mexican entrees including chiles rellenos, bean tostados, bean burritos, or even nachos frijoles.
How To Prepare Refried Beans
After knowing ‘how long do refried beans last in the fridge’, now is the best time to know the process of preparing it. Just follow the simple steps below.
- Heat the refried beans slowly at a low to medium temperature only and stir it occasionally in order to distribute the heated beans.
- You should never overheat since the beans can burn and dry out immediately. To get the best results, serve the refried beans when it is still hot.
Having enough knowledge about “how long do refried beans last in the fridge” is very important in order to avoid food spoilage. This way, you can be sure that every dish you make will give you nothing but satisfaction.
Watch this video to learn how to make refried beans with ease:
If you have any questions and reactions about this post, do not hesitate to leave us your comment. We would be glad to hear it from you.